I helped host a baby shower this weekend and part of my contribution was to make red velvet cupcakes and quinoa salad. The red velvet cupcakes turned into a chocolate mocha cake with cream cheese frosting and red velvet crumbles on top. And the quinoa salad turned out to be a huge hit. So at the request of several attendees, I’m posting my recipe which is adapted from a friend’s quinoa salad recipe you can find here.
Bethysmalls’ Quinoa Salad
(this is how much I make to last a week of lunches, a double batch essentially)
- 2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 – 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 green onions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 1 6-8oz container of crumpled feta cheese
Prepare the quinoa according to package directions and allow to cool. ( I don’t always let it cool and I don’t know that it makes a huge difference but it is slightly easier to mix when cooled. The warm quinoa will wilt your parsley a little but may make the cheese and dressing and veggies all bind a little more.)
Combine halved grape tomatoes, chopped parsley, sliced green onions and feta in a large bowl. Add quinoa and stir.
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice or your favorite vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil, extra virgin is good but regular is fine, too.
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t coarse black pepper
- 4 T dijon mustard
Place ingredients in a mason jar and shake it like a Polaroid picture.
Top the salad with half the dressing and stir to coat. Add more to taste.
Viola! Hope you like it.